Cryosurgery for Prostate Cancer
Cryocare® TCAP™ (Targeted Cryoablation of the Prostate™) is a minimally invasive prostate cancer treatment that freezes the prostate to -40°C, which results in immediate cancer cell death.The physician inserts 6-8 slender probes into the prostate gland. Contained within each probe is argon gas cold enough to freeze the entire prostate. A warming catheter protects the urethra from the very cold temperatures. Ultrasound images allow your doctor to guide the probes to the best possible positions for destroying the cancer. Temperature sensors monitor the process and precisely determine when target temperatures have been reached. The in-hospital procedure takes about two hours and patients generally either go home the same day or spend one night in the hospital. Recovery is rapid and most patients return to their lifestyle quickly.Cryocare TCAP is approved by Medicare as a primary treatment for prostate cancer. It's also approved as a treatment of prostate cancer for recurrent prostate cancer after any type of radiation. Today, over 350 published studies help document the clinical value of cryoablation as a prostate cancer treatment option. And recent 10-year data provides evidence of cryoablation's long-term durability. The Cryocare procedure has been performed on thousands of men by hundreds of doctors nationwide.
Why consider cryoablation?
- Minimally invasive prostate cancer treatment, not major surgery
- No radiation beams, no permanent radiation seeds, no radiation exposure
- Choice of general or spinal anesthesia
- Outpatient or overnight hospital stay
- Fast return to normal lifestyle
- Low risk of potential side effects (such as incontinence)
- Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans as a treatment for prostate cancer
- Recent published studies have demonstrated good long-term outcomes from doctors performing the Cryocare TCAP prostate cancer treatment.
Recent studies have shown that, for some men, Cryocare TCAP prostate cancer treatment may be performed with minimal damage to the nerves necessary for sexual function. Ask your doctor if this is an appropriate option for you.
Why choose USMD? USMD Hospital at Arlington is the largest cryosurgery center for prostate cancer treatment in the country. We offer cryosurgery with Cryocare CS, a fully-integrated planning, placement and treatment system designed to simplify cryotherapy and allow unlimited flexibility. The preceding information is used with permission from Endocare, Inc. For more information, go to: www.cryocarepca.org