Am I a Candidate
Bariatric surgery is generally recommended for patients who have unsuccessfully tried diets, exercise and nutritional counseling and who are committed to making lifestyle changes. Additionally, you must be committed to the lifelong follow-up of medical care.
From a weight perspective, you may qualify as a bariatric surgery candidate if:
It is important to note that no two bariatric surgery patients are alike. Our team of board-certified bariatric surgeons and medical experts will consider each patient’s case individually by reviewing:
- Medical conditions related to obesity
- Willingness to follow medical recommendations before and after surgery
- Your support system of family and friends
- Additionally, as a patient, it is important to consider the long-term benefits and risks of these surgeries.
Potential long-term benefits include reduction of:
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
Potential complications include:
- Blood clots
- Development of gallstones
- Need for additional surgery
Based on all of these factors, you and your physician collectively determine if bariatric surgery is the right option for you.